Thursday, July 7, 2011

Casas Mission Trip July 2011

Trinity Summer Casas Trip - Post 1 (Thursday, July 7th)

Hello, my name is Mara Erhardt. My family and I have been members at Trinity for 5 years. I am 17 years old and going into my senior year of High School. This will be my 6th Casas trip.

At 9am tomorrow I will be setting off in the church van heading down to El Paso TX. Today, I spent the entire day packing and getting ready for the trip. First I went and got all the clothes together that I would need, everything from my bathing suit for the pool in El Paso to my Carhartt work pants and boots. As I dug my boots out of the bottom of my closet, a big cloud of dust and sand flowed out that distinctly smelled of Juarez. Next, I rummaged through the garage looking for my sleeping bag and cot. Last, but certainly most important, I got all my tools together. All anyone really needs are gloves, a hammer, and a tool belt for nails, but I like to bring some other tools that have come in handy over my previous trips, like box cutter, knee pads, wire cutters, staple hammer, and a measuring tape. In no time I had this:

looking like this:


Seeing everything packed and ready to go made me realize that indeed I am going on Casas again! Like any trip it seems unreal until I pack for it. I am so excited to go on another Casas trip full of hard work, fun, and fellowship. It is a humbling experience to do God's work in a very physically demanding setting in order to make life different for a family. I am most looking forward to seeing my friend Margarito. We built a house for him a year ago last summer. He and I built the concrete stoop in front of his door. Later that day when all the families from Tierra D'Amor (the neighborhood we build houses for) came to the Compound (a concrete walled in building builders stay in) for dinner, his family, Becca Sager, and I talked to each other throughout the meal. I also sat and talked with his family at dinner on this past November trip. I cannot wait to see them again.

Hope you enjoy following us over the next 5 days. I'll post again tomorrow night from the hotel in El Paso about the 12 hour van ride down.

No comments:

Post a Comment